Translate

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thoughts on the Reasons Why Teachers Teach

     During this week's  learning module in my education class , I read many papers on the reasons why people decide to become teachers. Although I am not an education major and I am not trying to become a teacher, I still find it very enjoyable to learn the reasons why people want to do certain things with their life and the things that motivate them. The most enjoyable thing that I read during this week was Herbert Kohl's article Why Teach. This article was influential yet informational at the same time. Kohl said, "Listening carefully and following up on what you hear are skills a teacher has to cultivate" (25). After I read this quote I thought about it for a while. If a person listens and responds to another person, it shows that one cares.  Also, I can only assume that if I am a teacher and I am continually listening and responding with feedback to my students, they will in one way or another appreciate what we are doing. I a friend who is becoming a teacher and right now she is an assistant teacher for a class for students with special needs. I asked her why she wanted to become a teacher and she told me that she is trying to make a difference in the way that knowledge is attained to kids. She wants to influence kids and make their learning experience fun and memorable. I feel as though if I had that passion that I read about in many articles, I would be ecstatic to become a teacher. I applaud the people in the world who are teachers. They are paid enough for the amount of work that they accomplish and don't nearly receive enough acknowledgment from students, parents, and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment